Friday, August 26, 2011

Thrifty Vintage Finds

New Tablescaping Finds!
I am so excited about this pretty set of dishes!

You are very likely to see these turn up in a Tablescape in the near future.
My Daughter who lives in Illinois is always on the lookout for dishes, for her addicted mother. You might say she feeds my addiction. She recently found this delicately beautiful set at one of her favorite haunts.
The dishes are Taylor Smith Taylor and the pattern is "Celeste".

The Taylor, Smith & Taylor Pottery was founded in 1899 by C. A. Smith and Col. John N. Taylor, using the facilities of the Taylor, Smith & Lee Pottery.   TS&T began operations as a nine-kiln pottery employing approximately 50 people.  In the early days of production only local clays were used.  Later, TS&T bought clay from Kentucky, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Florida.  TST´s plant was the largest and most automated in the United States.  More than 50,000 dozen pieces were produced per week by the firm´s 500 employees.
In 1903 the Taylor interests were purchased by W. L. Smith and his son.  The firm remained under the Smith ownership and management until early 1973 when the plant was purchased by Anchor Hocking Corporation to become the foundation of its Pottery Division.
For many years both earthenware and fine china bodies were used.  The Lu Ray Pastels was one of TS&T most popular lines.  The china body was discontinued in the early 1970´s.  TS&T closed in 1981.
Source: Robbins Nest Replacement Service
This china is whiter than in this pic.
It is a clean white with little grey/silver swirls and blue dots as stylized flowers and platinum trim.
Isn't this the sweetest little cup and saucer. Kinda of prissy, I think!
The six piece place settings will be very versatile.
This is the basic place setting.
 It appears this was originally a service for twelve. Some of the cups are missing and one has a small chip. I will use that one if necessary.  Do you ever do that? Discretely use the chipped or imperfect dish?
There are twelve dinner plates and fifty-five pieces in all.
The price was $28.00 total. Thrifty deal, don't you think? Kim is a great little shopper. Her mama taught her well.
If you are not already doing this, use cheapo paper plates for dish protectors. Works great, costs less and if you break the dishes you can eat out of the paper plates. No Waste!
Recently I purchased this beautiful stemware through Ebay.
I was looking for something delicate and etched. I took a chance on these because the pictures on Ebay showed up as being very cloudy. After some messaging with the seller I decided to take a chance. I think they are awesome!



Because I was still antsy, I purchased the water goblets, white wines and cordials. I passed on the tall sherbet/champagnes. My mistake. 
The water goblets and the wines have a flower, wispy leaf stem and little round dots/berries. I think they match the china beautifully. The cordials are a little different pattern.
The seller didn't know the pattern nor did I. I sent a photo to Replacements Ltd. and they sent me the name of the maker, pattern and price list. I did GOOD! I bought eight each of the water goblets and wines for $5.00 each and the cordials were seven for $5.99. This seller's shipping was nominal. Less than gas for a day of thrifting.
The manufacturer is Arcadia Export-Import and the pattern is "Orlean". This pattern was discontinued in 1951. Some information says it is German and some sources listed Hungary.
Replacements lists the water goblet at more than three times what I paid.


I have some other vintage goodies around the house, including me. I will use those to create a "Thrifty Vintage Tablescape" coming soon. 
I hope you enjoyed your visit. Please leave a comment.


I am joining the following parties, please link back to them for inspiration.
Saturday Nite Special
Show and Tell Saturday
Sunday Favorites
Seasonal Sundays
Blue Monday



30 comments:

Susan said...

Ginger! Your dishes are so beautiful! I could see these being used at Christmas time paired with seasonal colors!!

Debbiedoos said...

Ginger what pretty pretty dishes. I really love the glasses. I do not have any glasses that pretty, and I have a lot of glasses LOL!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Gosh, Ginger! Your daughter is really good at scoring finds. This china pattern looks timeless to me. I can't wait to see what you do for a tablescape with it. And I love those etched glasses. Have a great weekend.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Gorgeous...what a thoughtful daughter!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Ginger, the china and the crystal are both stunning patterns and such fabulous buys. Gorgeous. They will make an elegant tablescape. Hugs, Marty

Miss Char said...

OK, I'll be waiting for the tablescape on this one! What a great buy on the china, I'd be doing a happy dance over that one. The crystal is beautiful and you certainly did well on that too.

Barbara F. said...

Wow, Ginger, you scored big time! Your daughter did a great job finding these dishes, and the glasses, another wow. Replacements is really over priced! xo,

Sharon said...

Beautiful dishes!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

gorgeous! Love your pretty china --- Celeste is my daughter's Mother-in-love's name. I love that beautiful crystal. Can't wait to see your pretty table set with your new treasures.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness Ginger those are gorgeous!

Karen said...

Beautiful dishes and glasses Ginger. I'm addicted to china and glasses too and take a lot of ribbing from my kids about my addiction lol.They will make a beautiful table setting. Enjoy them!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your glasses are beautiful.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Those dishes are amazing and such a bargain. Lovely glasses also. Can't wait to see the tablescape with these.

xinex said...

I love those dishes, Ginger, and what a great buy! I also like the etched stemware, so delicate and so pretty. Can't wait to see your tablescape using these...Christine

Babs said...

Ginger.. oh my...what beautiful china and crystal.It's going to make a fabulous tablescape. Love the crystal pattern and shape. So pretty.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, my goodness Ginger girl, did you score great, the china is gorgoeus and what a deal!! Now, I do want to go shopping with you and the etched stems are wonderful, I can't wait to see your tablescape with these lovelies! Have a nice and safe weekend. Hugs, FABBY

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

You and your daughter did wonderfully, Ginger! What beautiful dishes and glassware! I'm just amazed at the deals you got!

Suzy said...

Such pretty dishes! Love the delicate pattern. And the crystal is to die for. Have you ever been to Replacements? It's well worth the trip if you're ever up this way.

Anonymous said...

Your china is beautiful,and i love the glasses too.

Kathy

Tanya Breese said...

i can't believe that whole set was only $28! and super job on the stemware!! beautiful, all of it!

Ann said...

You did well, so pretty and those glasses are just amazing.
Happy thrifting.

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your China is so Beautiful !! The stemware is Gorgeous sweet lady.
I would like to thank you for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape with my one and only Rooster.
I hope you are having a great day and are keeping dry.
XXOO Diane

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Ginger,

Yes, you are a smart banker! Good with money management and that is important all through life.
Have a lovely weekend and stay well. Love to you,

Mariette

Pamela said...

These are truly lovely! Stop by and share your treasures sometime for Treasure Hunt Thursday!

Kalyan said...

nice looking table wares...lovely captures!

Snap said...

Well done, Ginger! You've taught your daughter well. She gets an extra pat on the back!

Maggie said...

Great finds, so useful and versatile.
You taught your daughter well!
Maggie @ Normandy Life

The Tablescaper said...

Such great finds. And yes, I always keep the chipped on for myself! LOL! Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow! love the gorgeous dishes as well as those pretty etched glasses...what an elegant tablescape they will make. Your daughter did a wonderful job of finding them.Visiting from The Seasonal Sunday's Party. Have a great week!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

SmilingSally said...

What a kind daughter you have! Thanks for sharing your beautiful new dishes with blue.

Happy Blue Monday, Ginger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...