REMEMBER THOSE WHO GAVE ALL!
Is having her fifth annual Picnic Online Game!
I am joining for the first time!
Starting on June 18th, Louise began accepting requests for alphabet letters A-Z. The dish you bring to the picnic must begin with the letter you have chosen. I chose the letter "H" and I am bringing, a Hummingbird Cake! By the day of the picnic, July 1st, you will be able to visit any one of the participants and find links to twenty-six delicious recipes.
February 1978 issue of Southern Living Magazine. The recipe was submitted by Mrs. L. H. Wiggins of Greensboro, North Carolina. The recipe was extremely popular and is know to have won many blue ribbons at county fairs across the south. Since its
publication in 1978, it has been the most requested recipe in
Southern Living History.
|Click on pic to read more from Southern Living|
In December 1998, Southern Living published an Updated Recipe in their "Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook" It uses less oil in the cake batter.
|Click on pic for source|
This is the recipe I will be using. My only modification... I will be using a sheet cake pan and only making a half recipe of the frosting. I will be icing the cake in the pan. I can just slide my cover on the pan and I'm ready for the picnic!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of butter softened
- 1 (16 ounce) boxes of powered sugar
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into a 13x9x2 inch greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350° for 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Combine softened cream cheese and butter, beat until smooth. Add sugar a little at a time and beat until fluffy. Add and blend vanilla. Double the recipe for frosting if you are making the three layer cake.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator until time for the picnic.
NOW, FOR THE FUN PART...THE GAME!
I AM GOING ON A PICNIC AND I AM BRINGING...
A- Aloo Gobi (active on 6-28)
E- Eton Mess
Be sure to visit Louise on July 1st where she will have all the recipes listed. What fun t'will when the picnic basket is full!
BY JULY FIRST YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS
TWENTY-SIX AWSOME RECIPES IN ONE PLACE!
VISIT AND PIN, PIN, PIN AWAY!!
I am taking my cake to these parties. Please join me!