Sunday, September 4, 2011

Granny's Potato Salad!

Weird, I know! Eggless Potato Salad!
Well, it IS potato salad, NOT egg salad!
Did she say eggless?
Let me immediately state: I love potato salad any way it can be made. Sweet Ole Bob and my son are not fond of eggs. My son will ONLY eat an egg if it is concealed during the preparation of a dessert.

Years ago I had to come up with a tasty, eggless potato salad that the entire family would eat. I had to use nontraditional yet palate teasing ingredients.


This is my recipe.


Three lbs small red potatoes (smaller the better)
1/2 cup mayonnaise  (Dukes only). It's a southern thing
1/2 cup low fat sour cream. Don't use no-fat
1 cup finely chopped fresh spring onions (reserve a few for garnish)
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley 
2 - 3 tsp horseradish. More or less to taste. More is good for me
1 tsp celery seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
principle ingredients.

Finely chop onions and cilantro/parsley. Set aside. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and celery seeds. Add pepper and salt to taste. I do NOT add salt to anything. 
Fold the onions and cilantro into the sauce. Be sure to reserve a few onions for garnish. 
At this time I place the sauce in the refrigerator, giving the flavors time to meld. You may taste test at this time to make sure you have added enough horseradish. It is better if it has a little bite to it.
Chop those tiny red potatoes. Cook until just slightly tender (they will continue to cook after removed). Rinse, with cold water, drain and place potatoes in freezer for a few minutes (not absolutely necessary, just me). I work on something else for a while.
Today, while I was working on that something else, I looked up and spied"Kitty". That's her name.
You see, she hangs just above where I was working. She's there to make sure I keep things in proper prospective.
Kitty followed me home from one of our Hawaii trips.
Kitty reminds me that often I can be pulled in all directions. Do you ever feel that way? Kitty believes when that happens one should (cover those places you're being pulled) head to the beach. A cocktail, good book, good suntan lotion and a sunny day will fix anything. I personally turn off that cell phone.


By now, our potatoes should have cooled, and our sauce flavors have blended. 
Place one third of the potatoes in a bowl, cover with part of the sauce. Continue until you use all the potatoes and sauce. Garnish with the reserved onions and a little parsley. I didn't have cilantro this time and I wasn't going to the store. I like cilantro best but I wasn't about to pulled upon, today. 
I still can't believe she didn't use eggs! Whew!

I hope you like this variation of an old standard.

While you are trying this, I am going back to the beach!
Not many beach days left.
Before you start celebrating the holiday weekend, PLEASE leave a sweet message.










23 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Enjoy your beach day, and the rest of the weekend! xo

Lynn said...

This sounds different Ginger, I'd love to try the horseradish! Happy Labor Day Weekend:@)

Donnie said...

That is too funny. I think I need a picture like that near my chair...lol...I don't put egg in my potato salad all the time and this is definitely a good recipe to try. Have a great Labor Day.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I am like you-I just like potato salad!Anywhere, anyhow! That is a hilarious picture-what a great thing to bring a smile to your face every time you see it!

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Ginger,

That is a very yummy potato salad and I too don't like anything 'eggy', like the key lime pie, that is too much egg aftertaste for me. So I always substitute my recipes.
Love to you,

Mariette

NanaDiana said...

Ohhh..that looks good- eggs or no eggs!

Love the Kat In The Bikini! She has the right idea! Enjoy your day at the beach. xo Diana

afternoon tea said...

That looks like a great recipe. I'm not very fond of eggs myself. It looks as if that rooster and chicken are looking on approvingly.

I really like your Kitty picture.

Our weekend here is very cool, reminding us that winter is close to hand. Perfect weather for doing preserves.

Have a great weekend.
AT

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love potato salad in about any form and yours looks good. Love that kitty picture and its message! :)

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Love the recipe -- and the cook's commentary! You're so right about heading for the beach (or, at least, turning off the cell phone)!

Jenny said...

This sounds delicious! Sometimes I like potato salad without egg!

Your header is gorgeous. I love the way you manipulated that photo. It looks like glass shards. Just so pretty.

Babs said...

Ginger, I'm like you in that I love any kind of potato salad. Your recipe looks delicious even though I usually put egg in mine. I even like German potato salad. Your Kitty picutre is so cute. Love all her swim tops...giggle.
We just got back from the beach and it was sooooo nice.
Hugs and have a great Labor Day,
Babs

The Tablescaper said...

Potato salad, the perfect way to end the summer. Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Martha said...

Sounds good -- I like the addition of the horseradish and I do like the mayo/sour cream mixture -- the sour cream lightens the mayo.

xinex said...

Your potato salad looks very good, Ginger. Tnanks for sharing the directions on how to prepare it...Christine

Anita Diaz said...

Ginger that looks so yummy!!! I LOVE potato salad very much, and the fact that you used Duke's mayo really makes it :Southern" lol!! Thanks for stopping by! We have been so busy with the CD, I haven't had time to visit. We are releasing a single tomorrow, so you'll see which shots we chose!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, my Svannh lady, this is a great potato salad, I love it! Maybe I should just go to your house and take it out, like take out! I know hubby will love this one, he's a potato lover. I like that mayo too. Hope you're having a nice Labor Day Ginger dear. Lots of hugs. FABBY

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I did put your potato salad together to day. It was so yummy Ginger Thanks.
I put my first year Anniversary on
hope you can come see. I also hope you and your family are having a great weeken.
XXOO Diane

Marlis said...

I hear you on concealing things.. I have one son who won't eat mustard - evah! so anything with mustard is made surreptitiously.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him.. This potato salad looks so good. I love the horseradish! Thank you very much for your well wishes for the parents.. They are both doing very well. xo marlis

Ela said...

Hi Ginger, this looks yummy. I will definitely try this. I am now craving for it.

Thanks for dropping by in my blog (http://scrapidoodlelicious.blogspot.com/) and adding my button to your blog.

Unknown said...

What would the south be without our potato salad any ole' way you make it. You take the best pictures and it looks scrumptous!

Thanks for leaving me such sweet comments. You're a doll.

Have a blessed week full of laughter and fun. OX's...Tracy :)

Farah said...

Look delicious... I may try on Friday ...
Come to me at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Anonymous said...

Eggs..ilent potato salad,with out the eggs.

Hey Savannah Granny...I have a nephew going to Armstrong and working @ "The Social Club" restaurant down town,go by and see him and say hello if ya can,his name is Robin,he's a great guy,but he is missing home alittle.
~JO

Kathleen said...

I never put eggs in potato salad, so this sounds great to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...