Wednesday, September 14, 2011

NOT THE WAY TO SPEND YOUR DAY!!

This is not my copycat project!
I had all the ingredients for one but got sidelined!
Not unless "This Old House" magazine had a feature on leaking hot water dispensers.

 If you use one of these you will know one could never do without a hot water dispenser again. This one was installed nine years ago when we replaced the counter tops and sinks. I use it for single cups of hot tea, steeping iced tea, instant cereals etc. 
When it became slow to dispense, I counted it as age and the hard water we have in Savannah.
Only when I noticed mold on my Kahlua bottle and the water filter did I become alarmed. Mostly about my Kahlua bottle.
Upon investigation, this is what I found. For the last two days I have played "Sewerella".
After removing everything and letting the base dry out I had these large buckled places. So I am taking up layers of the base and finding major wetness under each layer.
 I am using a fan to dry the area.
Bob came in from smoking and croaked to see me pulling up layers of plywood. "Not to worry" I say, "There is every kind of plywood scraps, in the garage, we could possibly need." "We", he says!
Yesterday, we picked up a new heater. 
Newest model of previous one. I figure if this one lasts as long as the last one, someone else will be getting my hot water for me.
Meantime I need to dry out and replace the cabinet bottom.

Bob asked if I thought we (I) could install the heater.
I said, "Not without a lot of fussing and grumbling" 
Bob said "you don't do that". 
My reply "No but you do". 
Bob, "Let the plumber come".
The plumber is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Bye for now. Gotta go and cut the cabinet bottom.

It's  OK to leave smart mouth comments. Any comment is welcome.
Sewerella aka Ginger

23 comments:

Barbara F. said...

I am impressed, Ginger, how you took care of this problem! Not only would I have called the plumber right away, I would have been in tears! :0 xo,

Chatty Crone said...

I think you did AWESOMELY! sandie

Unknown said...

Whatta gal! You are far better than me for attempting ... good fo r you, my friend.

Hope tomorrow is a better day!

TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

orchidlanedecor.com said...

Oh I agree with the others, you were so level headed about this. I guess it comes down to experience, huh? Sooner or later you gotta learn that blowing your top just gives you high blood pressure :) However, I think I still would have blown my top, haha :) Hope the rest of your week is more fun Ginger.

Suzy xxx

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I AM TOTALLY IMPRESSED!! You were so cool about this Ginger; not, not me, I would've blown my top off!! LOL! You're some kind of girl!, the one when they made you, they broke the mold!! Lots of hugs, FABBY

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, my there are always things need to be fixed or replaced. The fun of home ownership. That was funny what your Bob said.

xinex said...

You are a Jack of all Trades, Ginger. I am really impressed. We used to have a water heater on the sink in our house in Illinois and it was really convenient....Christine

afternoon tea said...

You handled that quite wonderfully! But I think you were smart to call the plumber to install the new hot water dispenser.

Good luck on the cupboard repair.
AT

NanaDiana said...

Ginger-We used to have one of those at our house years ago. Glad that Mr Grumble decided to hire a helper! xo Diana

Debbiedoos said...

You done good Ginger! No this would not qualify for the magazine copy cat challenge...darn it LOL!~ Hope things are looking brighter for you.

Unknown said...

Awe Ms. Ginger,
I wish I lived closer, i'd send my UPS man right on over to fix you two up in a jiff! It's funny cause he was asking about you yesterday, do I still "talk" to you :)
You just sit back and let that plumber do his job!

Unknown said...

Oh I so wish I could come up with a smart mouth comment. But I spend the day repairing water damage too and I am just too tired to be smart.
But I have to say I love a woman who can rip out her own soaked cabinet bottom.
Thanks for the laugh.

Donnie said...

Have tools will demo...lol....It's good you found that before it got even worse.

LindyLouMac said...

Oh dear a task you could have well done without!

Suzy said...

Don't you just love getting sidetracked? (insert eyes rolling)
You're a brave lady. I would have been afraid of peeling up the layers of plywood. Watch out for that mold! It'll get you when you think it's just lying there all nice and undisturbed. I now have to take daily meds because of not protecting myself from mold during a reno 3 yrs. ago. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Oh No!...It breaks my heart to see you and sweet ole Bob having these kinda problems,wish I were there to help!
hugs back thru the loblolly's.
~JO

Katherines Corner said...

Darn, sorry you had to deal with this. But looks like it all worked out great. Hugs P.S> I invite you join me at my first ever Thursday Favorites blog hop. Stop by and link up your lovely blog.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Well, frankly, I'm glad you rescued the Kahlua bottle! You may need a little while you watch the plumber do his thing!

Ivy and Elephants said...

You are an inspiration! I usually just curl up into the fetal position and cry myself to sleep, THEN I call someone.Now I know, grab the Kahlua first!!!
Hope all goes well.
Hugs,
Patti

Debbie said...

I have wanted one of those suckers since they used to have them in hotels. I don't see them so much anymore, come to think of it.

Way back then, I had little kids around the house so thought better of it. Now, I'm back to wanting one.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Ginger,

You are a heck of a LADY! Oh, we have had almost the very same experience. In my kitchen improvement blog of August 30, you could have seen our first white one from Lowe's and now we have a chrome one. Nice to have a leak in the under-counter cabinet! It is tricky as the temperature needs to be set correctly or else it is boiling over and causing problems. But for sure you will end up happily with a new one. We certainly cannot do without one anymore. One of life's little luxuries!
Love to you,

Mariette

PS we got home from Savannah airport by 2:00 AM yesterday. Will post the winner tonight at 1:00 AM...

Babs said...

Ginger, Boy are you having some fun..NOT. What a bother to have to do all that. The hot water dispenser sounds lovely. I didn't know there was such a thing. I know tankless water heaters, but this is neat for a small amount of hot water.
Have a fun weekend,
Babs

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

I'm so impressed, Ginger! I'm such a home repair wuss that I call a plumber at the slightest hint of a problem. That heater sounds great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...